The story I tell in this video is about a fisherman. A man went out to the fishing pier and watched a man catch fish. Every time the fisher would catch a large, nice fish, he would throw it back. But every time he caught a small fish, he would keep it. Finally, the man worked the up nerve to ask the fisher what he was doing. “Oh!” the fisher said, “I only have a ten-inch skillet.”
This scenario can play out in our lives all the time. We only have a 10″ skillet. So when God or life or our own efforts bring us the big fish, we have to throw it back.
He told them this parable: “No one tears a piece out of a new garment to patch an old one. Otherwise, they will have torn the new garment, and the patch from the new will not match the old. And no one pours new wine into old wineskins. Otherwise, the new wine will burst the skins; the wine will run out and the wineskins will be ruined. No, new wine must be poured into new wineskins. And no one after drinking old wine wants the new, for they say, ‘The old is better.’”-Luke 5:36-39
The trick is to be prepared (have a big enough skillet) for when opportunity comes knocking. Here are some ideas of what that could look like.
- Build your business as if you were already taking on your dream client.
- Have a structure that could encapsulate a better working environment for when it comes.
- Don’t just be skilled enough for the work you’re getting, be skilled enough for the work you want.
- Have an open heart for where the Spirit may lead.
- Be the friend or person who will attract the kind of friend or partner you want.
- Live a lifestyle that supports your dreams, even if they haven’t happened yet.
If you only are working with a 10″ skillet, when any of these sort of things suddenly pop into your lap, you have to turn it down. Or messily stress it into your life. I’ve seen businesses barely getting by because of taking on clientele they weren’t ready to handle. And people who stagnate because they weren’t ready for the Spirit’s leading. So go get a 16″ or a 24″ skillet and see what happens!
What’s an area in your life where you could use a skillet upgrade? Let me know in the comments below!
This teaching is a part of my “Money Mastery” program which is available for sale Monday! It’s only available for 24 hours so tell a friend and check back tomorrow!